Monday 21 September 2015

My Grandma's Teacups: 5 Ways You Never Thought To Use Your Embossing Folders

As a crafter I try to make sure that I invest in products that I will be able to get a lot of mileage from. That is why I tend to to shy away from buying oodles of premade embellishments, single purpose tools and basically anything that I am not going to be able to use for many years. There is nothing worse than buyers remorse after purchasing a really cool crafting supply only to see it languish on your workbench waiting for a purpose.

 One of the most versatile papercrafting tools that you can get are embossing folders. You can buy the expensive sizzix or cuttlebug folders (and I have many times) but if you want to build a large selection Darice makes a huge collection of folders that are just as good (and about 1/3) of the price). The reason that I am so crazy about embossing folders is their versatility. You can do so much more than just dry emboss paper.

 

These are five of my favourite techniques.

  1. Letterpress 
  2. Wax Resist
  3. Glitter
  4. Foil
  5. Double Emboss

Letterpress:

This technique involves inking directly on your folder and then embossing the paper. The inlaid areas become inked while the embossed areas remain untouched. You can also ink the alternate side for a reversed look.

This is a wonderful video that illustrates this technique well.

Letterpress with Stampin' Up! Embossing Folders


Wax Resist:

With the use of some wax paper and an embossing folder you can create amazing patterns to use as resist (it does require an iron though) luckily for me I have one that I have rarely used :)

Wax Resist Techniques | docrafts Creativity TV


 Glitter


You can never have too many ways to apply your glitter. This is such a fun technique and it makes such an impact on cards. This has a big "WOW" factor.

Foil

Whip out that Reynolds Wrap because you are going to think of at least 20 things you are going to want to make with this technique. It also looks amazing with alcohol inks applied to it.

Double Emboss

This just takes your embossing up a notch. Be sure to use a juicy Versamark pad for this so that you get a really good application.

No comments:

Post a Comment