Monday 2 November 2015

Prima Doll Mixed Media Mini Canvas: Always be your own kind of wonderful

Late last night I was inspired when a mini canvas fell off my bench and onto my toe. Hey some people are inspired by apples hitting their head...for me a good swift knock on the toe does just fine. I made the decision that I have too many half finished projects lurking in my studio. One would think that I would have come to that conclusion before hurting myself, but potato p-a-t-a-t-o. 

I got out my Prima Doll stamps and an old pad of DCWV paper, a few Prima flowers and flourishes and some Basic Grey Rub Ons and Voila....my mini canvas masterpiece was born.

Here is what I did:



  1. I had previously painted the canvas a blotchy mix of pink and white acrylic paint. 
  2. I sanded down some of the areas of the canvas so that the texture showed through.
  3. I used the white rub ons and my bone folder to put the flourishes in the upper centre to right side of the canvas, trying to have as much show through were I intended to place my doll.
  4. Using a plain white paper doily cut in half I created a half moon on the right centre of the canvas.
  5. I had some Prima Say It With Crystals flourishes in the studio so I used one in the top left .
  6. I had some left over scraps of a crocheted doily from our club layout from a few weeks ago so I used it to create a sort of base to ground all the elements at the bottom of the canvas.
  7. Silver filigree and some pretty Prima flowers were added to the crocheted doily pieces.
  8. Using the "Always be your own kind of wonderful" stamp from Close To My Heart, I stamped my sentiment with black Memento Ink  and then coloured it with cotton candy ink (which I applies using a makeup sponge).
  9. I popped the sentiment up on foam squares and then finally adhered my pretty Prima Doll. She is inked using Tattered Rose Distress ink.


Thats It. As my little guy would say "easy peasy, lemon squeezy".