Friday, 20 February 2015

My Grandma's Teacups Scrapbooking and Craft Supplies: Top 5 Reasons To Scrapbook




We all have reasons why we choose the hobbies that we do. Some people like the calm satisfaction of following a pattern, cutting out material and stitching something together that will be useful and unique. Others enjoy the rhythmic motion of knitting something warm and cosy for a loved one. I am a papercrafter. I dabble in painting and clay but my true love is paper crafting.  As I child I had a duo tang that my sister Sherry had labelled in her lovely handwriting in blue ink. All through public school I added to the rough lined three hole punched papers with tidbits of newsletter articles, school badges of participation, ribbons, gift tags and anything else that could be held in with either scotch tape or Elmer's school glue. The world of pretty scrapbook papers and fancy adhesives had not even been introduced to me yet and I was already hooked.

In my twenties my husband and I became Foster Parents. Part of our role was to create "Memory Albums" for the children that came through our home. Many of these children had no pictures as their family moved around allot. I quickly became a huge advocate in the cause of Memory Preservation. No shoebox of pictures would accompany my kids through their journey. I began using a digital scrapbooking program called Picture It. It allowed me to take my pictures and scan them (prior to digital cameras) and manipulate them into beautiful pages.

We were at Costco one day and my husband saw a scrapbooking tote filled with K&C supplies. It was like $49.99 or something like that. He looked it over and said maybe I should get it and try making my kids pages using scrapbook paper and stickers. I was annoyed. What did he know about my creative process. I reluctantly purchased the kit and took it home. It sat on my shelf for almost two months untouched. Finally, one afternoon as I was frantically assembling the Life Book for a child that was going home I ran out of ink. Having several wee ones in the house at this point, running out to Staples was not an option. I grabbed that bag of supplies and started madly cutting out shapes and pictures. (amazing how many ink lines can just get cropped out). That my friends was the beginning of an obsession. When people ask me what I do and I tell them I am a professional papercrafter their eyes often glaze over. "I have no time", "I'm not crafty", "I have no place to keep all the tools" are often the responses given for a lack of interest in scrapbooking. To this, here is my carefully crafted list of the top 5 reasons you should scrapbook....one for when I am being serious and one for when I am being a bit cheeky :)