Sunday, 17 March 2013

One foot in front of the other!

Deep breath, deep breath! What's the line....I think I can, I think I can.

As a child we have all stared in wonder at some special heirloom that we were never allowed to touch. For me it was my Grandma's teacups. They were kept in her china cabinet safe from the slightly sticky smudges I would inevitably have caused. I remember watching with admiration as my Aunts and Uncles sipped tea or coffee from these elusive treasures during holiday meals, waiting for that far off day that I might be allowed the priviledge of using one. That was many years ago. I never did get to drink tea at a holiday get together but those beautiful pink rose cups now adorn my china cabinet. I brought them home after they were unwanted by anyone as we cleared out our grandparents home. They came to be a symbol to me of how we often place more value on items then we should. The teacups are worthless but to me the memories of those family times are priceless. I am making it my goal to be a guardian of memories for my kids....not of things but of our history...the unrepeatable stories of our family.