Monday, 18 March 2013

Little Pieces of Life

Hello Friends,
Is there anything as wonderful as the smell of bread baking.  It does not matter to me if it is in the oven or in my bread maker the smell always makes me feel cozy and safe. My children wait in anticipation of the very first bite of the soft warm concoction. I don't even mind if I don't get a slice as the feeling of comfort in the house fills my heart rather that my tummy. What makes your house feel like home? Is it a certain smell or particular music. Whenever I smell a pipe it reminds me of my Dad and my childhood home. He would sit and smoke his pipe filled with aromatic cherry tobacco as my sisters and I completed our homework nearby.

I love things that help  to make memories for my children. Special meals, crafts or trips are important but also the routine of things everyday that will be etched into their little memories. I have Christmas pictures of my oldest son from the time he was two until this year (whew he is almost 16) where he is holding the orange from the toe of his Christmas stocking. We never intentionally asked him to pose with the orange. It just became a bit of our family story as he looks for the orange each year. The orange came as a tradition from my Mom that said her Mother made sure that she had one in the toe of her stocking each year. That easy, a piece of produce has become an anchor for my son into our family story. Take time today to think about what ordinary magic occurs in your home and take the time to write it down. These little scraps of everyday life, the smells and tastes and feelings will enrich your children's memories and help you preserve your family story.



freshwhite bread